Saturday, June 19, 2010

I finally made it out of Huancaveica with all of my cameras

I know this title comes as a surprise.  Take it in.  I didn't get anything stolen.

Machu Picchu

This year has really blessed me in the form of how much travel I have been able to do and the wonderful people that I have gotten to know.  The end of May and early June brought me back on the road once again.  It started with a wonderful week of vacation which included the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu, the town of Paracas, and an Alianza Lima game.  What made this even better was that my wonderful sister Callie and buddy Scott came down to do those with the other YAVs and me.  It was great and if you want more stories, check out Baja, Ginna, or Alissa's blogs and more pics as always on my flickr and facebook.

the destroyed catheral in Pisco
Immidiately following vacation, I headed out on the road again with a group from the Hudson River Presbytary in New York (for their blog of the trip, click here).  They had come to get to know the work being done by the Red Uniendo Manos and its partners.  This meant that we were going to do the same tour we did in September with another group.  Have I really been here long enough to be leading the same trip again?  Is my time really starting to close out in the same way it began?  They started in the city of Chincha and saw how it is slowly rebuilding after the 2007 earthquake and once again we slept in a hotel in the shadow of the condemned cathedral in Pisco where more than 200 people lost their lives during mass because of the same earthquake.  But, even in my short time that I have been in this country, that town has begun to rebuild (including meetings with partner organization CEDEMUNEP which is quoted in this article on peruvian racism by the BBC).  It seemed much less desolate than it did 8 1/2 months ago.  The central square seemed more put together.  There was a new foot traffic only street that was a lighted brick path away from this town.  I hope that some day I can go back again and be surprised once more of the change that is happening in this devestated town.

The next day was travel.  Just travel.  On a good day, it is 10 hours from Pisco to Huancavelica.  It took us a little more.  This trip rises up from sea level to 16,000 ft before dropping back down to the town at 13,000.  We got stuck trying to visit a village that was unifying to fight for their water rights.  We stopped for cocoa tea in a random town on the side of the road where the patrons of the restaurant were surprised to see 13 gringos walk in and interrupt their evening soap operas.  I was also struck with how much I have traveled this year by the ease of this trip.  16,000 feet, no problem.  14 hrs in a bus, so what?  Un-paived roads, that is just a butt massage. 

Our day in Huancavelica was spent in meetings.  Once again we had the opportunity to share the work being done by our partner ATYPAQ on local economic growth and environmental rights.  We also met with the women of the artisan group "El Mercurio" (meaning "mercury," a nickname given to the town of Huancavelica during its early mining years because of the high amounts of mercury used to extract the ore).  I have had the opportunity speak with the women of this organization a few times and it never ceases to amaze me to hear their response to the question "how has working with fair trade changed your lives?"  Translating this answer back from the president of El Mercurio, Yodi, to the group almost brought me to tears:

"It has done three things for us: First, it has brought more financial opportunitites to our families.  Before we didn't have any extra money, but now we have more to use for the futures of our family.  Secondly, it has made our husbands respect us more.  At first they didn't want us to be involved in this project because they thought we couldn't do our domestic work, but now they see the value of our work and value us more.  And finally, it has taught us to value ourselves more.  We now see our own worth and our self-esteem has greatly increased because we know that we can do this work.... It is also a place where we can come together to share the jokes, stories, joys and pains with each other."

I am truly impressed by the work of these women and the difficulties that they have overcome to become what they are now and who they will continue to become.  Also, they make really awesome stuffed llamas.

From there, we went on to the city of Huancayo for meetings with Red partner CEDEPAS.  As so often happens in this world, it was more than we could have hoped for.  The day we happened to be there, was also a farmers celebration put on by CEDEPAS to celebrate organic farming with a fair, dance, and lunch held in the middle of a field.  We had no idea this was going to happen, but it allowed us to show the real work and connections being done by local NGOs here in Peru.  We also got to see the operations of the Archbishop of Huancayo and the Catholic Church's local involvement in seeking a healthier environment in the region.

A member of CAMBIALO, her name is Lady
Our last day of the trip brought us back to La Oroya.  This city will forever have a special place for me because I have gotten to know so many wonderful people who have dedicated their lives to the struggle to make it a better place.  This day we were blessed to meet with the members of Filomena and a few of the childrens group CAMBIALO and discuss their pasts, presents, and futures.  This is a city that has good people working for good reasons.  I know good changes will come and you will hear about it when they do.

But this was my last group.  I have gotten to see a lot of Peru through the four that I have had the opportunity to travel, live, laugh, translate, and work with.  So to each of you that have made the pilgrimage down here, thank you.  You all have helped me become who I am becoming and I hope that we have helped you grow too.  It is strange writing the word "last" into any blog, but time is coming to an end which is sad, but for now I must just be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment