Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Against the Universe

Due to an unfortunate moment, this post is a little less interesting because my camera was (using geographically correct terminology) “disappeared” in Huancavalica earlier this week. Then to top it off, I took some film in to get developed and they screwed up the roll and so I got nothing back. The universe does not want me taking pictures right now.


I want to thank the delegation from the Presbyterian Church who came down this week. I really couldn’t have thought of a better way to get to know the work that the Red Uniendo Manos does here in Peru except through visiting many of our partners here and getting to know their work. Between Sunday and Thursday, we went to church twice, visited children’s education group, discussed earthquake relief with some afro-Peruvian women, visited a squatters site, checked out a new water tour, attended a cake making class, chatted about water problems, got pulled over 10 times, made one “donation,” had a breakfast meeting about local environmental problems, cracked jokes with a firecracker of an Andean woman, failed twice at using a solar cooker, learned about looms, ate LOTS of potatoes, actually felt rain, got lost once, saw thousands of llamas and alpacas (and can tell the difference between them), received the organic farm tour (including the guinea pig barn), had a stimulating discussion about micro enterprise with a women’s group that dries stuff, visited one of the 10 most polluted cities in the world, spent 25+ hours in the car and that is just what I remember. (I would have some pictures for you to see, but thanks to the camera issue, they are not available).


As I have been here for the last few weeks, one general theme about Peru has begun to surface, juxtaposition. Everywhere I look, there are two world that are running into each other at top speed. I want to make sure not to qualify these worlds, but just point how they contradict each other. This makes sense for a country that has an enormous, but “relatively” new mountain range that was created by two plates colliding. On my walk home from work, I pass by a tailor working in a little wood shack that buts up against a 20 foot wall which separates the “real” Peru from the manicured soccer fields that are within. I knelt down and talk to a little girl who doesn’t have a right hand, lives in a squatters village in the middle of the desert and whose mother is gone all day at work and look up to see one of our trip checking his email on his blackberry. I am daily told how dangerous some other part of town is, but always greeted with the warmest of hospitality. These are just a few thoughts. They are not all encompassing. They are not that profound, but it is just something that has been on my mind for a while and will continue to be for a while.


So, I’ve been gone for a month. I need a little input. I haven’t shaved since I left and would like opinions on whether which direction my facial hair should go. Here are a few pictures to help you decide which is best and then click on this link and take the one question survey.

Let me know, beard, stubble, or clean shaven?

2 comments:

  1. C, most definitely :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool Joe!! I'm jealous of all your crazy cool work! also, I started my own "I'm a graduate stuck in Spokane" blog - thought you might like to keep up with the folk back here in the Inland NW. Miss you!

    http://thebeankielbon.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete