Saturday, September 5, 2009

I'm here, but that is not todays topic

Hi from Peru

Wow, I have been waiting for oh so long to be able to say that to you all. This is really amazing. When we got on the plane in Atlanta (almost a week ago, wow!!!) I couldn’t help but thinking about how this is really happening.

Before I continue too much into Peru, I do want to say a few things about our orientation in Stony Point, New York (Not NYC). I learned that I am an ISFP according to the Meyers-Briggs test. We had a very good discussion with a woman named Jessica Vasques Torres about race, gender and living a life in the “center” (which we used basically as the American power structure: media or media, money, govn’t). The theory that we based the conversation around was the belief that there is a “center” that has power and controls the power and there is a “borderland” that does not have it. The borderland is connected to the center and relies on it for its existence. In reality, those of us from the States are irrevocably connected to the center. It is important to mention that it is not necessarily a bad thing, but that it just needs to be understood in the way that the borders of our society connects with the center. That led into a discussion about who were living in the borders and the re-commitment to those of whom we will be working with this next year. One point that she made that I thought was interesting was the conclusion that the Center removes the culture of some (i.e. Norwegians or British) and accentuates differences or only a small misrepresented portion that they want to be seen in others (i.e. most African and Latin American cultures). Both of these are dehumanizing because they do not see the whole perspective. I can claim myself to be Norwegian and Finish, but I have never been to either, the only Norwegian I know is how to “sit on my lap and kiss me” (and that may even be wrong), I have never worn any traditional clothes. Other than the heritage that gives me my height (dad’s side) and my brown eyes (mom’s side), what of this culture can I really claim as mine? Is it degrading to Norwegians for me to say that I am one of them when I really am not. Is it also degrading to other people from the States that I am trying to escape that. What does it even mean to be “American?” Is it even possible to answer that question? There are so many different versions of “American.” Which one is the “real America?” I know that Iowa will try to claim that, but in reality what makes it that. I really was happy with Jessica’s point that no matter what we say at this point, it is devaluing who we are and who everyone else is too. If you are interested in this or more about the race stuff that we talked about too (that I in the most un-rascit way possible am choosing not to go into for sake of space), check out a book that she recommended called “White like me.”

We also watched and participated in a skit/lesson by Rick Ufford-Chase about the economics of poverty (specifically in Latin America, but is applicable to share with the rest of the world. The point of the skit was to show how basically all the money that is in the world ends up in the hands of the powerful (basically the “center”). It was interesting to see how “petrodollars,” World Bank/IMF loans, and even many countries internal revenue ends up back in the hands of the powerful. And of course these practices are promoted because they help those that make the decisions on what to do. This was really not new information to me thanks to the great education I received at Whitworth and CASP. But what was really interesting was the bible passage that Rick used to back up his beliefs. He used Matthew 25:14-30 and the parable of the slaves and the talents. So often we read this to say that we all aspire to be the first slave who did what he knew how to do and got the most out of his work and are told not to be the slave that only gave back what he was given. Most of the time, this is taken to say that we need to do what we are good at and focus on that. If you are good at hugs do it to the best you can. We were went out to our small groups (thanks Seseme Street group for helping me to get ready) and I argued the normal interpretation. What Rick later explained to us was that his interpretation of the passage was that because the passage does not start out with “the kingdom of heaven is like” as do most of Jesus’ parables, Jesus was telling about life and how it worked in the period. Rick believes we are to be the “lazy” slave who was trying to subvert the “norms” of the society and instead find a better agenda. I like this because it isn’t easy. Far to often we take the Bible to be a tame book, but it really is and always should be revolutionary (but don’t worry mom, I’m not about to take on the revolutionary mantra of other historic Peruvians). But what do you think. Read the passage. Do you agree with Rick or disagree of have something else to say?

Other than these good lectures, orientation was just an amazing time for us to all be together as YAVs and celebrate the work that God is going to do is us. I really was encouraged by my small group to take this on. I really found God in a worship song. Thanks to everyone who helped me get out of the states. Well, I’ve written quite a bit so far, so I won’t get into actual Peruvian life quite yet. Rest your eyes, but not your heart or mind because this is a good passage to hash out as a community. I love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment