Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A week and a half with the Red

I write today waiting for my computer to load some videos into imovie. It is rather strange to realize how much I have used technology during my time here. When I told most of you that I was going to Peru to do development work, I am willing to imagine that most of you thought of far off hills and valleys, living in a very rural setting. Basically, I was going to live with Pacha from The Emperor's New Groove. If you didn't you think differently than I do, because that was the image in my mind. But instead I live in Lima. In case you didn't know, Lima has an unknown number of millions of people (I have seen estimates between 8 and 13). The sounds of buses, taxis and trucks is a constant background of hums, honks, roars and rumbles as this city goes about its business. I live in a nice 2 story house in Pueblo Libre (one of the neighborhoods of Lima). I have wireless internet in my room, warmish showers (though the head is about 8 inches too low and I often end up taking my showers sitting down, and the picture is not of my shower, but one like it) and the opportunity to watch El Fondo Hay Sitio and El Show De Los SueƱos. I eat more bread and rice than any other point in my life (the bread is FANTASTIC, and doesn't always look that cool, but tastes like it). During the last weeks, when I don't have my computer, I have walked to work. It takes about 30-40 minutes, but is a really nice way to wake up and enjoy the morning. I go through a park where most days about a dozen middle aged women do aerobics. Most of the walk is on the busy street called Bolivar. Lima is interestingly laid out because when you step onto one of the main streets, it seems to go on forever. When I cross them and look up through the smog and the ever-present low lying clouds, it really feels as I am living in one of the old National Geographics that we had to cut up for middle school reports. The other funny thing about the town is that because all the streets are so long and straight and because of the Spanish heritage here, the city would be more or less square. That assumption would be WRONG. If anything maps of Lima look like spider webs, with the main streets being the support strands and each individual road making up the web, which can ensnare and capture the most innocent and lost who venture into her grasp (ok, it really isn't that bad, but I like the image).

Here at the Red, I am mostly working to find ways to connect people around the world, especially in the United States with the work being done here. So I've made a facebook fan page, am writing the organization's newsletter, called La Retama (to receive it, just send me an email at jtobiason08@gmail.com or LaRetama.RedUniendoManos@gmail.com, first edition end of Oct), making some videos, and a podcast highlighting the stories, lives, and experiences in and around the Red Uniendo Manos. Oh, and whenever I get a camera, taking pictures.

Well, my videos have loaded so I can start working, but I just want to let you all know you are special. Check out the links on my previous post for new pictures or my flickr for the artsy ones. You're all great people. Thanks for being in my life.

Oh, I almost forgot. The survey. Here are the results:
Keep on growing: 6 votes, 50%
What it is now: 4 votes, 33.3%
Stubble: 1 vote, 8.3%
Clean: 1 vote, 8.3%
other:
Bring back the mustache!
Big & bushy ... then decide
Mustache!!!!!!!1!!!!
maybe a little longer, for a Ray LaMontagne look...
Try a goatee
Fu Man Chu
Soul patch and mutton chops!

My response: No more mustache. Done it once, don't want to look like a molester. Goatee, don't want to look like my dad. Fu Man Chu, Dr. LeRoy, I love you but that is your look, not mine (also did it once). Soul patch and mutton chops (you didn't look the picture, my sideburns lack just a little too much to pull that one off. So final decision, MORE BEARD!!!
Question of the post:
What do you want to know about Peru?

1 comment:

  1. Grow Beard Grow. Hey, on the map of Lima, where are you? Dad

    ReplyDelete