Saturday, September 12, 2009

Peru Orientation

Before diving into my time here in Peru, I do want to thank everyone for their comments on the passage that we discussed after my last blog entry. I do want to say that I do not completely agree with his stance either, but it was interesting to see and come into contact with other interpretations of the bible, especially ones on passages that are well known. I do not think his thoughts were heretical, but neither were they spot on. I do just like hearing biblical reminders of how we need to be caring for the least of our world in a society that is structurally sinning against them.

I have been here in Peru since late on the night of Aug 31. I can’t believe it has almost been two weeks. We have been quite busy with devotionals, museums, trips to ruins, discussions on fair trade, Peruvian history, fake money, economics and a trip to the fountain park here in Lima.

One general theme that really struck me in a few of the trips to ruins that we have taken, was their proximity to the rest of life. We went to one called Huanca Pucllana which was right in the middle of Miraflores (one of the nicer barrios here in Lima). It was very strange to stand on top of the main temple and look around at all of the elegant apartment buildings that surrounded it. At another, Pachacamac, it was very interestingly placed between the beach (and the Pan-American Highway, yes that goes all the way to Alaska), the desert, a fertile valley, and a squatters settlement that has started to encroach in on the site. I really feel that this is a good explanation of Peru. It a country filled of different cultures that are living right next to each other. There are 3 main regions (coast, mountains, Amazon jungle), multiple languages, 80% are impoverished, but also a very strong right population. I really don't know what to take from that, but it is interesting to be able to go to every different street corner and see bits and pieces of so many different cultures running together.

One of my favorite parts of being abroad is listening to stories. I know that my Spanish isn’t quite sufficient to really comprehend everything that is said and it is far from being strong enough to really debate people’s thoughts. But to hear how people live and what brought them to the place in which they are makes me happy. This is one reason that I like taking taxis. My normal questions that spark conversation are “how has the night been” or “how long have you been a cabbie.” Some speak of how the city has changed. Some discuss how they haven’t worked in that job for their entire time because other jobs come and go. One told me that Fujimori was the best president Peru has had. And some just don’t want to talk, but it is always an experience.

Most morning, our group has done some sort of devotional. The first week, it was led by a man named Edwardo (who is Ginna’s host dad). He was great. This week has been very powerful to me because our friend Efrain has led our devotionals. The theme has been the different blind people in the Bible. This is a great way to look at these miracles. In each one, Christ healed their infirmity, but each one has a particular story. We looked at the stories in Mark 10:46-52, 8:22-26, John 9:1-11, and Matthew 9:27-38. Check them out. Which one stands out to you? Why? The theme that most struck me was that Christ usually required some sort of action or reciprocation of work. For me, the Matthew passage is most potent because it is two blind men who come to Jesus together for sight. They were completely dependent on each other and only together were they able to receive the gift that he is giving. I guess that is kinda the feeling I get about this whole trip. I am definitely blind, and I’d wager that those with whom I’m trying to find God are in need of his help too. That is really our mission here in Peru. We are blindly working together to find some light.

Yesterday we finished our two weeks of training with a trip to photo exposé from the armed conflict here in Peru. Each of the photo has a story that was heard and needs to be heard. I was amazed to see the normal Peruvian faces etched with the grief and pain of living (and dying) through this violent period. It was not a morning I really want to remember, but is something that I can never let myself forget.

So then with a little afternoon of pisco sour making, dancing, a few fair trade artisan gifts, some late night cake and not very much sleep, we are no longer together as a group of 6. I currently am sitting in my bed at the Vargas household. This is my new home. The family is very wonderful and my accommodations are so much more than I could have ever guessed. I am so very blessed. So here we go. I am off tomorrow (Sunday) and the rest of the week with a group from the states who are here to see what we do at the Red. I will let you all know what is up too when I’m back. Thanks for reading and which blind man do you connect with? Paz de cristo.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Joe, I was challenged by your ideas to look at the 4 "blind" accounts. I've never studied them together. What I see--in what was recorded--was no formula for Jesus giving sight--but all were personal. Were 3 sighted then became blind? How was their faith (?) affected in this hardship? One was blind from birth, not because of sin but "so the work of God might be displayed in his life." Some came on their own, others brought the blind to Jesus & begged Him to touch them. Some He spoke of faith. One was not an immediate healing.
    What I take from this study is Jesus is the source. He may not work like I expect him to, but He is the one to go to, to bring others to, to believe in when we can't yet see, trust He has a purpose, to wait for, and even to take simple seemingly obscure steps to obey. Healing came...because of Jesus.

    ReplyDelete